Monday, June 21, 2010

Music Monday: Vampire Weekend


I wanted to kick off things off with a new segment so appropriately stolen from Twitter known as Music Monday!  At the start of each week, I'll bring you something new from my iPod & let you know how and why it made it to my playlist.

This week's #MM pick is Vampire Weekend's sophomore album, Contra.  This record is everything! It could only be better if I owned the vinyl copy (early birthday present?). 

The How & Why: I actually found this group through some banner ads in one of my iPod Touch apps.  After a few days of ignoring it, I decided to do a Google search on the group.  From there, I watched a couple of their videos on Youtube, and knew I had to own the album for myself.  What a splendid surprise!  Every song tells its own story, but the track layout brings them all together.  This post-folk California summer sound blends live instruments, catchy melodies, and the lead singer's nostalgic voice with modern lyrics, and a couple of subtle references to late hip hop legend, Notorious B.I.G. on title track, Contra.

I can't tell you what to listen to, but feel free to GET ADDICTED to the Vampire Weekend album, Contra.

~Niq'

No comments:

Post a Comment